Fall greetings! As we get closer to wrapping up the fertilization season we start to think about our wrapping season- not Christmas presents but your plants! Shrub wrapping isn’t the only way to protect your plants this winter, our services include deer netting and anti desiccant sprays to evergreens as well. We refer to all these services as Winter Protection (WP).
WP for your plants helps prevent:
- Desiccation (drying out) of the foliage which leads to winter kill
- Browsing deer that can cause extensive damage to many types of plants
- Snow and ice damage
Plants are expensive- very expensive, replacing just a few can cost you thousands! Think of WP as an insurance policy for your very valuable plant material.
Here are the 4 ways to know if you need to WP your plants:
- You have new plant materials – all new evergreens shrub be wrapped the first season or two
- You remember last winter’s Feb cold snap that killed many established evergreens
- You have had deer or snow damage to plants in the past
- You have extreme exposure to wind- an open expanse/ field around your house, coastal winds, salt spray from the roads.
Unsure? Just ask us! If you’d benefit from WP we’ll come up with a plan- if it’s not needed, we’ll let you know that as well.
Chris Imlach, MCLP
Owner and Head Coach